Make Living Walls Easy
Florafelt Pocket Panels are the easiest and most affordable way to create a living wall or vertical garden. Simply mount the panels to a waterproofed surface, stretch open the pockets, then plant. Please take the time to read and understand our instructions. We’ve been using the system successfully for years and have learned the best ways to use this unique vertical garden system. Designers use the system worldwide with incredible success. The best part is that you can easily change out plants and modify irrigation at will. Review our installation instructions below to learn how it’s done.
- Use caution when using tools to protect yourself from injury
- Ensure proper grounding of electrical devices and always use a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) in wet locations and where needed
- Make water holding tanks child safe by using locked covers
- Manage small parts and clean up work areas to prevent choking hazards
- Be aware of toxic plant materials around pets or children
- Wear gloves to protect hands when using tools or handling plant materials
Florafelt Mounting Methods
There are many ways to mount Florafelt Pocket Panels. You can simply hang them from their included mounting tabs or screw them directly to waterproofed walls. Have a look at our mounting methods link below.
Hang From Mounting Tabs
Florafelt Pocket Panels are lightweight modular panels with felt pockets attached to a rigid plastic board. The panels come with hanging tabs so they can also be hung on hooks, nails, or deck screws which works great for small installations in wet areas.
How To Attach Panels to Walls
Here are the best ways to permanently install Florafelt Pockets (Vertical Garden Planters) with a neat framed edge of wood or metal. Metal edges can also double as drain trays for a minimalist finish that makes the plants float from a thin plane.
Use #6 1 5/8 smooth coated deck screws. Four per panel. One at each corner. Lift side flaps and locate screws at the staple connections. Before mounting to wall, start all four screws in the panel.
Stretch Open Pockets
Before you plant, first stretch open all the pockets using a small pipe or tool handle to get leverage. Pull firmly but not excessively. Felt will give and stretch to about 2 ½ inches out.
Tuck in the Flaps
Very important for even watering. Necessary when stacking panels vertically. Tuck the bottom flap of the upper panel behind the top flap of the one below.
Florafelt Root Wraps
Wraps are made from the same material as the pockets only thinner. Wraps wick water to the soil. Root will grow into and through the loosely woven felt. Wraps are very important because they hold the soil together and prevent air gaps. They can be reused or you can order new ones here.
Change and Rearrange
Plants can be removed and changed Mature plants attach themselves to the felt by their roots but can still be removed if required Small hair like roots can be broken and moved if necessary Often root disturbance will not harm the plant if moved.
How to use Florafelt Wraps
See Videos on our website to learn how: Florafelt How-To Videos. Use only one Florafelt Wrap per pocket. The Wrap is folded similar to a ”diaper” Use a rubber band to hold it together. Pre-moisten the root-wrapper to prevent ‘root shock’. Use One or two of the 4 inch potted plants that will fit nicely into each root wrapper. Use One 6″ potted plant with some soil removed for a fully grown in look. Add or remove enough soil to make a sort of flat “burrito” pouch that easily slides into the pocket. Wraps can be removed and unwrapped to remove plants and reused to add plants. Wraps are made from recycled PET water bottles and will last a lifetime.
Planting the Wall
Highly recommended to first install and test the irrigation system. To check for even flow touch inside the back of the pockets. Moisture will collect at the bottom fold of each pocket. The front of the pocket will remain dry allowing the roots and soil to breath. Be sure to seat the root wrapped plant firmly to touch the bottom of the pocket. Water will wick up and into each plant. In time roots will grow through the root wrapper and into the moist felt pocket.
Florafelt Pocket Panels Irrigation
The Florafelt Pocket Panel system uses minimal soil so it must be watered very often depending on exposure and types of plants used. Water moves through the system so watering more frequently for shorter periods will conserve water.
Water Flows Through
The Florafelt Pocket Panels require regular and constant watering. Water moves through the system and drips from the bottom. Moisture collects at the bottom fold in each pocket. Roots grow into the moist felt. Wrapped plants must touch the bottom fold to wick moisture.
Consider this option if you like to go in your garden with a hose frequently to tend to your garden. This also might work if you have an urban storefront or cafe where hosing down the sidewalk is a daily task. Hand watering will work best for succulents that like to get completely dry between waterings. Herbs and other plants will do better with a drip system that will keep constant moisture available to the roots at all times.
Connect to Existing Drip Systems
Automatic Irrigation recommended. Connect to its own ‘zone’ so you can adjust watering schedule. Vertical gardens are watered more often than regular planters. Suggest 4 times a day for 5-10 minutes for most situations.
Drip Irrigation Kit
We offer a pre-assembled drip irrigation kit that saves you time and trouble. Pre-assembled timer/filter unit make is easy to get up and running quickly. Irrigation and button emitters can be customized for your install.
Drain Water Away
Drip to Garden or Planter Below
Many installations are installed in places where there is a garden directly below the living wall. Consider adding a french drain or rock bed to receive the drips. Set your timer to water in short bursts to minimize runoff and prevent flooding below.
Direct Runoff to a Drain Nearby
- Direct water to a nearby drain
- Use on patios that need to stay dry
- Drain to a cistern for reclaim use
- Drain to a nearby planting bed in your garden
Florafelt Pockets Living Wall Waterproof Install Detail
Florafelt Pocket living walls can be installed indoors with special care to protect the surface from moisture.
Use the detail drawing shown here to construct your custom living wall installation.
Edge frame details finish the edge for a professional tidy detail.
Connect the gutter to a nearby sewer or tank to create a custom recirculating system.
- After 6 months the soil will begin to lose its nutrients
- Depending on plant choices the natural decay within the wall can reach a balance
- But in most cases the plants will prefer to be fed
- Organic based fertilizers to keep microbiology within the soil and felt active and alive
- We recommend Maxsea seaweed based fertilizer or similar
- Wait until leaves become slightly pale before feeding
- Too much fertilizer will make plants grow too quickly and produce sugars that will attract pests
- Avoid chemical fertilizers that cause salt buildup and harm plants
Manual Fertilizing Options
- Spray diluted fertilizer topically with a pressure sprayer
- Feed in the Spring or as needed
- Add organic time release plant food spikes under the drip emitters at the top pockets
Add time release pellets or spikes in plant pockets where needed
Automatic Fertilizer Injector
- Add a dosing pump to your irrigation system
- The pump will add a very diluted concentration to your drip system
- Dosatron inline plant food injectors use water pressure to operate the pump
- Very simple, no additional electrical connection is required
- See: Dosatron Fertilizer Injector D25F1
Recirc System Feeding
- Add Maxsea to tank, light feeding is best
- Often very little food is required for indoor plants, if any
- Light feeding in spring is good for most indoor plants
- Be careful not to over-feed, plants could produce excess sugars that can attract pests
- Plant colorful blooming annuals for color
- Try herbs and vegetables
- Allow to die back each year then replant in the spring
- Also you can start from seeds
- Contact us
- Send photos of your situation
- We can help you get it back on track